Parents love having Mrs. Meier as their child's teacher so much they return to her classroom long after the school year is over to ask her advice on how to help their child academically, socially, and emotionally. Mrs. Meier looks out for all of the students at her school, not just her second grade class, whom she engages with constant feedback. Mrs. Meier's use of data to guide her lessons, ability to elevate students who fall behind, and kindness to her colleagues are all reasons why she has been selected as Lone Peak's 2015 Teacher of the Year.
The Canyons Board of Education has approved a new elementary school schedule for the 2015-2016 school year. The schedule gives teachers time during the school day to work together and plan instruction to better meet student needs and prepare students for college and careers. It also brings back early-out Fridays.
Early-out days will be on Fridays only. School will not release early on other days during shortened weeks. Trained specialists will teach students in areas such as physical education, arts or music during teacher planning time.
Start and end times for elementary schools are being set now, and will be communicated to parents before school lets out for the summer.
The schedule was recommended by a task force of teachers from every Canyons District elementary school and Jordan Valley School. The task force has been working since December to study elementary schedules, take feedback from colleagues, and come up with a schedule that better serves students and gives schools flexibility to set teacher planning and collaboration time. The schedule approved by the Board is supported by 87 percent of teachers surveyed.
For more information about next year’s schedule, please visit www.canyonsdistrict.org.
- March 10: Fox in Socks Day (Wear your crazy sock)
- March 11: Cat in the Hat Day (Wear your favorite hat)
- March 12: Green Eggs and Ham Day (Wear a green shirt)
- March 13: I'm Not Going to Get Up Day (Wear pajamas - NO slippers)
As always, please do not resort to painting face, hair, or doing anything other than what is listed above. Thank you for your cooperation with this as we wish to maintain a normal learning learning environment throughout the week.
We look forward to a great week full of reading and wish you all the very best of luck as you try to reach your reading goals.
A few important upcoming events and dates to make you aware of:
- February 27: No School (Report Card Preparation Day)
- March 3: Meet the Masters Activities
- March 3: Birthday table for Students with March birthdays
- March 3: Chinese New Year Open House at Corner Canyon HS 6:00 to 8:00 pm
- March 9 - 13: Dr. Seuss Reading Week (More info coming)
- March 12: Science Enrichment Day for 3rd Grade