A few important upcoming events and dates to make you aware of:
- February 27: No School (Report Card Preparation Day)
- March 3: Meet the Masters Activities
- March 3: Birthday table for Students with March birthdays
- March 3: Chinese New Year Open House at Corner Canyon HS 6:00 to 8:00 pm
- March 9 - 13: Dr. Seuss Reading Week (More info coming)
- March 12: Science Enrichment Day for 3rd Grade
Do you have a child that loves to cook and would love to share their talent? Canyons School District has launched across the district a recipe contest for students of all ages.
What is the prize? The submission judged as the best by our Nutrition Services Department will become part of the school lunch menu and named after the student who submitted it!
Click here for more information: http://www.canyonsdistrict.org/district-news/item/3231-recipe-contest
Show your teachers some love! Nominate your favorite teacher to become Lone Peak's 2015 Teacher of the Year. The winning teacher will receive prizes fromm local businesses, a banner for our school, and special honors at an April 28 Canyons Board of Education Reception and Honors Ceremony. Our Teacher of the Year also will have a shot to be selected as the District Teacher of the Year, which comes with additional prizes and a nomination for the Utah Teacher of the Year contest. We will surprise Lone Peak's winning teacher on Friday, April 3.
Here's how you can get involved:
1. Download the nomination form at www.canyonsdistrict.org. (Nominating window opens February 1 and runs until February 28)
2. Complete the form on why you think your nominee should be recognized. Criteria include how the teacher shows that students are making progress, supports the Canyons District vision and goals, and exhibits leadership skills and efforts to promote collaboration, student engagement, and community and family involvement.
3. Print and submit the form to your school's PTA leaders, or, if you are a school employee, to your principal, by Feb. 28. The School Selection Committee will consider nominees forwarded by the PTA and employees.
4. Watch for information on the April 3 Teacher of the Year surprise announcement at your school.
Canyons School District honors Teachers of the Year at every school. Winning teachers will be announced at school celebrations on April 3. The District Teacher of the Year will be announced by the Board of Education on April 28.
Four scheduled Parent Education Nights will provide important information to families about important mental health topics, including suicide prevention; how to address school bullying; and drug- and alcohol-abuse prevention. All events are from 6:30-8 p.m. at the following middle schools:
The keynote speaker for all four nights is Deseret News reporter and columnist Lois Collins, who writes and speaks about family issues. Breakout sessions will follow the keynote. Parents are welcome to attend multiple nights. The events also will include an information fair with additional family resources.