The open enrollment period for the 2014-2015 school year starts immediately after the Thanksgiving break.
Canyons District schools will begin accepting Standard Open Enrollment Applications on Monday, Dec. 2, 2013. Schools will continue to accept the applications through Friday, Feb. 21, 2014.
Students who want to attend a school other than the one assigned to them by geographic boundaries must submit these applications, which can be accessed at any CSD school or the Canyons Administration Building, 9150 S. 500 West.
Applications should be submitted directly to the school where the child would like to attend.
Last year, Canyons accepted open-enrollment applications from Aug. 1-Nov. 1. This was a one-time variance to the permit process so the District could ensure proper staffing levels when Canyons schools moved to a new grade structure.
Grade reconfiguration, approved by the Canyons Board of Education in 2010 and implemented in fall 2013, moved ninth-graders into the high schools, and created middle schools of sixth through eighth grades, and elementary schools of kindergarten through fifth grades.
The Canyons Board of Education has placed Corner Canyon High and Willow Springs Elementary on moratorium status. This means students who don’t live within the schools’ boundaries, if they aren’t already enrolled, won’t be allowed to enroll for the coming school year.
Questions? Please call the Canyons District Office of Planning and Enrollment at 801-826-5092.
5th Grade Maturation Programs for both our young men and young women will be hosted by Canyons School District at different locations throughout the district rather than at each individual school. The dates and locations may be found on our calendar, as well as below. When looking on the calendar, remember to click on the event for specific locations.
A flyer will be sent to every home with 5th grade students as the first date approaches. This flyer will also include the specific times that these presentations will take place. They will however all be in the evening.
Boy's Maturation Dates and Locations (Presenter - Dr. Brad Wilcox)
- October 22, 2013 at Indian Hills Middle School @ 7:00 pm
- November 13, 2013 at Union Middle School@ 7:00 pm
- February 6, 2014 at Butler Middle School@ 7:00 pm
- February 11, 2014 at Eastmont Middle School@ 7:00 pm
- February 20, 2014 at Mount Jordan Middle School (at former Crescent View Building)@ 7:00 pm
Girl's Maturation Dates and Locations (Presenter Lynn Calame)
- October 29, 2013 at Union Middle School@ 7:00 pm
- November 14, 2013 at Indain Hills Middle School@ 7:00 pm
- February 5, 2014 at Eastmont Middle School@ 7:00 pm
- February 6, 2014 at Butler Middle School@ 7:00 pm
- February 18, 2014 at Mount Jordan Middle School (at former Crescent View Building)@ 7:00 pm
Beginning in the fall of 2013, all Canyons elementary schools will use a new I-CANyons Standards-Based Report Card. The report card, crafted by Canyons educators over two years' time and used in 92 classrooms in six schools in 2012-2013, will give parents specific information about their child's understanding of the content. It also will give teachers and parents new tools to help students succeed.
The report card will contain separate reports of the following:
- A child's mastery of academic standards in language arts and math;
- A child's learning skills that support academic success; and
- A child's growth over time on grade-level benchmarks in language arts and math.
In the past, student grades have included subjective factors like attendance, effort, and attitude. In the I-CANyons Standards-Based Report Card, student mastery and work habits are reported separately in order to give a more accurate report of student progress. Grades also will reflect a student's current understanding of the content, and not average lower scores that may have been earned in the beginning of the semester. This will give parents a clear understanding of what students have learned as a result of their experience in school. It also will give parents and teachers the tools to identify precisely where a child needs help.
Please click on the following links to learn more about the I-CANyons Standards-Based Report Card:
- VERY IMPORTANT Letter Regarding First Parent Teacher Conference & Mastery
- District Information & Video About I-CANyons Report Card
- I-CANyons Report Card FAQs
- Kindergarten Report Card
- 1st Grade Report Card
- 2nd Grade Report Card
- 3rd Grade Report Card
- 4th Grade Report Card
- 5th Grade Report Card
After reviewing all of this information and you are still a little confused about the new report cards, please join us during one of the following meetings we have scheduled. We prefer that you attend these meetings, if you still have questions, rather than spending the valuable parent teacher conference time asking questions about them.
- Tuesday, November 5 at 4:00 pm in the lunchroom
- Tuesday, November 5 at 6:00 pm in the lunchroom
- Wednesday, November 6 at 4:30 pm in either the lunchroom or the library
- Wednesday, November 6 at 5:30 pm in either the lunchroom or the library
- Wednesday, November 6 at 6:30 pm in either the lunchroom or the library
- Thursday, November 7 - our achievement coach and principal will be available in the library throughout the night to answer any questions you may have.
Welcome back! We are so excited to welcome our Lone Peak family back for the 2013-2014 school year. With that being said, we want to ensure the safety of ALL students and therefore ask that you all help us adhere to these expectations.
- Students need to remain off ALL the hills around the building (front, back, and side)
- Students in grades K-3 will line up on the sidewalk in front of the school
- Students in grades 4-5 will line up on the blacktop in the back of the school
- Students need to walk to avoid any accidents
- Parents, PLEASE use designated pick-up and drop-off zones
- Parents, PLEASE DO NOT pull into the bus zone until ALL buses have come and gone
- Parents, PLEASE DO NOT park in the bus zones or other red zones