Believe it or not, the time has arrived for those families who have students that will be entering 1st grade for the 2015-2016 school year to begin thinking about the immersion programs throughout Canyons District. The application window for applying is open from September 30, 2014 to November 26, 2014. You may apply online at:
Here are some other important dates to remember regarding this process:
Dual Immersion Timeline:
- October 7, 2014: Postcard mailing to every incoming 1st Grader and Midvale’s incoming K students announcing Open Enrollment & Parent Meeting
- October 30, 2014 6:00-8:00: District parent information meeting regarding ALL immersion programs
- November 26, 2014: Applications close on-line
- January 13, 2015: Notification to parents sent out via email w/Commitment Form
- February 4, 2015: Parent Commitment Forms Due
- Before Back-to-School Night 2015: Schools hold parent orientation meeting for incoming 1st grade parents.
5th Grade Maturation Programs for both our young men and young women will be hosted by Canyons School District at different locations throughout the district rather than at each individual school. The dates and locations may be found on our calendar, as well as below. When looking on the calendar, remember to click on the event for specific locations. You may attend at any of these locations.
Boy's Maturation Dates and Locations (Presenter - Dr. Brad Wilcox)
- October 21, 2014 at Midvale Middle School @ 7:00 pm
- October 28, 2014 at Mount Jordan Middle School @ 7:00 pm
- November 6, 2014 at Albion Middle School @ 7:00 pm
- February 11, 2015 at Draper Park Middle School @ 7:00 pm
- February 18, 2015 at Eastmont Middle School @ 7:00 pm
Girl's Maturation Dates and Locations (Presenter Nancy Kelly)
- October 22, 2014 at Midvale Middle School @ 7:00 pm
- November 5, 2014 at Mount Jordan Middle School @ 7:00 pm
- November 11, 2014 at Albion Middle School @ 7:00 pm
- February 10, 2015 at Draper Park Middle School@ 7:00 pm
- February 19, 2014 at Eastmont Middle School @ 7:00 pm
Canyons District will soon begin accepting applications from students who want to take the test for admittance to the SALTA (Supporting Advanced Learners Toward Achievement) magnet program.
Applications are being accepted from students in the kindergarten through fourth grades. Third-graders in the program also must take the test.
The Request for Testing Form for SALTA — which stands for Supporting Advanced Learners Toward Achievement — will be available on Monday Sept. 22. It will be accessible on the Canyons District website until Thursday, Oct. 30.
- Testing Block No. 1 — Friday, Nov. 14 and Saturday, Nov. 15
- Testing Block No. 2 — Friday, Nov. 21 and Saturday, Nov. 22
CORRECTION: Back to School Night is Thursday, September 4, at 6:00 pm. We apologize for any confusion that our recent newsletter may have caused. The date was correct, but we accidentally listed the 4th as Wednesday. Again, Back to School Night is Thursday, September 4 at 6:00 pm. We look forward to seeing all of you. We ask that you leave your children home as this is an informational meeting for you as parents. Thank you.