The Canyons Board of Education has approved a new elementary school schedule for the 2015-2016 school year. The schedule gives teachers time during the school day to work together and plan instruction to better meet student needs and prepare students for college and careers. It also brings back early-out Fridays.
Early-out days will be on Fridays only. School will not release early on other days during shortened weeks. Trained specialists will teach students in areas such as physical education, arts or music during teacher planning time.
Start and end times for elementary schools are being set now, and will be communicated to parents before school lets out for the summer.
The schedule was recommended by a task force of teachers from every Canyons District elementary school and Jordan Valley School. The task force has been working since December to study elementary schedules, take feedback from colleagues, and come up with a schedule that better serves students and gives schools flexibility to set teacher planning and collaboration time. The schedule approved by the Board is supported by 87 percent of teachers surveyed.
For more information about next year’s schedule, please visit www.canyonsdistrict.org.
A few important upcoming events and dates to make you aware of:
- February 27: No School (Report Card Preparation Day)
- March 3: Meet the Masters Activities
- March 3: Birthday table for Students with March birthdays
- March 3: Chinese New Year Open House at Corner Canyon HS 6:00 to 8:00 pm
- March 9 - 13: Dr. Seuss Reading Week (More info coming)
- March 12: Science Enrichment Day for 3rd Grade
Do you have a child that loves to cook and would love to share their talent? Canyons School District has launched across the district a recipe contest for students of all ages.
What is the prize? The submission judged as the best by our Nutrition Services Department will become part of the school lunch menu and named after the student who submitted it!
Click here for more information: http://www.canyonsdistrict.org/district-news/item/3231-recipe-contest
Show your teachers some love! Nominate your favorite teacher to become Lone Peak's 2015 Teacher of the Year. The winning teacher will receive prizes fromm local businesses, a banner for our school, and special honors at an April 28 Canyons Board of Education Reception and Honors Ceremony. Our Teacher of the Year also will have a shot to be selected as the District Teacher of the Year, which comes with additional prizes and a nomination for the Utah Teacher of the Year contest. We will surprise Lone Peak's winning teacher on Friday, April 3.
Here's how you can get involved:
1. Download the nomination form at www.canyonsdistrict.org. (Nominating window opens February 1 and runs until February 28)
2. Complete the form on why you think your nominee should be recognized. Criteria include how the teacher shows that students are making progress, supports the Canyons District vision and goals, and exhibits leadership skills and efforts to promote collaboration, student engagement, and community and family involvement.
3. Print and submit the form to your school's PTA leaders, or, if you are a school employee, to your principal, by Feb. 28. The School Selection Committee will consider nominees forwarded by the PTA and employees.
4. Watch for information on the April 3 Teacher of the Year surprise announcement at your school.
Canyons School District honors Teachers of the Year at every school. Winning teachers will be announced at school celebrations on April 3. The District Teacher of the Year will be announced by the Board of Education on April 28.