These AMAZING 4th graders participated in and WON the Canyons District Creative Pursuit Bowl held last night at Sunrise Elementary. Creative Pursuit is designed to challenge a team of 4-5 students to exercise their higher level thinking skills to address different types of issues and dilemmas. Students work together to create a unique product, answer impromptu questions, and work on an original dramatic presentation. Congratulations to our creative fourth graders! A special thank you goes out Mrs. Mickelsen, Mrs. Fuessel, Mrs. Seal, Mrs. Vangorder, and to our students' parents for their help and support in making this a great learning experience for these outstanding eagles!
Believe it or not, the time has arrived for those families who have students that will be entering 1st grade for the 2015-2016 school year to begin thinking about the immersion programs throughout Canyons District. The application window for applying is open from September 30, 2014 to November 26, 2014. You may apply online at:
It is crucial that you still fill out an application for your son or daughter that may already have a sibling in the program. Siblings do receive priority enrollment, however, if you do not fill out an application for them, we assume you do not want them in the program. Please make sure you fill out an application for your son or daughter even if they have a sibling in the program.
Here are some other important dates to remember regarding this process:
Dual Immersion Timeline:
- October 7, 2014: Postcard mailing to every incoming 1st Grader and Midvale’s incoming K students announcing Open Enrollment & Parent Meeting
- October 30, 2014 6:00-8:00: District parent information meeting regarding ALL immersion programs
- November 26, 2014: Applications close on-line
- January 13, 2015: Notification to parents sent out via email w/Commitment Form
- February 4, 2015: Parent Commitment Forms Due
- Before Back-to-School Night 2015: Schools hold parent orientation meeting for incoming 1st grade parents.
One-Time Bus Riding Privileges
One-time bus riding privileges (on a bus other than the student’s assigned bus) are considered on an individual basis when warranted by exceptional circumstances. Written parent notification must be given to the school office before noon on the same morning of the pass. The office staff will complete a “One-Time Riding Pass” and give it to the student ten minutes before the final bell rings. The student must then present the signed pass to the bus driver.
- Due to limited space on buses and liability, bus passes should only be used for exceptional circumstances, not on an ongoing basis.
- Bus drivers may refuse to let students board a bus that is not their assigned bus without an approved pass.
- Transportation will not be provided to students on permit.
Canyons District will soon begin accepting applications from students who want to take the test for admittance to the SALTA (Supporting Advanced Learners Toward Achievement) magnet program.
Applications are being accepted from students in the kindergarten through fourth grades. Third-graders in the program also must take the test.
The Request for Testing Form for SALTA — which stands for Supporting Advanced Learners Toward Achievement — will be available on Monday Sept. 22. It will be accessible on the Canyons District website until Thursday, Oct. 30.
- Testing Block No. 1 — Friday, Nov. 14 and Saturday, Nov. 15
- Testing Block No. 2 — Friday, Nov. 21 and Saturday, Nov. 22